It’s been a week you guys. Not my best week, either. Nothing terrible happened, don’t worry. Just, you know, one of those weeks. I feel bad not updating but I hate updating when I’m crabby. So here’s how things are going on the Secret Agent Josephine front minus my craby-ness (hopefully).
1. Bug still loves school! Woo hoooo! There have been no anxiety-tear-fests at all. She has only had one bad day and it was because one of her friends had to go to the office and she missed her. I’m so happy with Bug’s school. It’s such an answer to prayers.
Yesterday for some reason or other I was early to pick her up and I got to watch Bug’s class doing their physical education session. It was a crazy mess of kids running around in circles. And there she was, tiny little Bug with her cat ears bobbing along with the rest of them without a care in the world. I sat in my car and just smiled. It was kind of like watching her in her sleep. I just want to soak up every moment and never forget any of them.
2. The weather has sort of been pretending to be fall-like in the mornings. PraisetheLordHalelujah! I don’t think I can take much more of this humid heat that makes me feel like I’m molting right out of my neck skin. I try and try to pretend I’m in Paris and imagine myself living in a tiny apartment without air conditioning but when I start getting water stains on my bra, my imagination sort of sputters out and dies.
When Fall finally gets here, I’m going to appreciate it like never ever before. That’s what I vow. Feel free to remind me of this when I start complaining about my tiny wall heater that may or may not work.
I love my apartment. It’s full of sunlight and very bright and white. That’s why I picked it. I need happy bright space to work in. But I didn’t realize it was going to be like living inside a solar oven. When I first moved here, I pitied my neighbors who lived below me in the shadow of my upper unit. I felt bad for them that their homes were so dark and closed in. They have a yard that I don’t have but nothing grows in it because there is not enough sunshine. How sad, right?
But now? I’m totally jealous!!! They have shade! Who cares about plants!!! They don’t have to run their air conditioners which smell like a combination of old folks home and a cheap hotel room. I try really hard not to run my ac but sometimes…well you just have to breath without sweating. Anyway! Fall might be near so no more belly-aching for me!!
3. I am choking so hard on finishing SAJ in Paris by the end of September so it can be done in time for Christmas. I am my own worst enemy. I set up a really tight schedule for myself with two illustrations due a day and I have completely blown every single deadline. It’s almost like I would have been better off not making a schedule because now that I have one, I feel terrible all the time and then real procrastination sets in because why not? I’m already a failure anyway. I might as well eat the whole cheesecake. I play stupid mind games on myself constantly.
This is probably why I am not more successful in business because I’m driven but not always driven to do what I’m supposed to be doing. I’ve always had this problem. Even when I was working in cubicle land. Just ask anyone who ever worked with me. Deadline? Sure. But I need to make a rocket ship out of those cardboard boxes in the hallway that IT left behind first…
4. We filmed a promo video yesterday for my Little Hoo book that’s coming out officially on October first. That was fun. Well, getting my makeup done and dressing up was fun. Trying to complete a full sentence without saying um or something else awkward and dumb wasn’t so fun. I don’t think I’m going to have a career in tv. It’s a good thing I can draw because I don’t seem to be cut out for much of anything else.
It’s also a good thing Calee, who will be editing the video, is my friend and I trust her because I do not have high hopes that they got much good footage. I’m counting on some killer softening effects and good Amelie-esque French music to redeem the video. Anyway, we’ll see. I’m sure you’ll hear all about it when it is online to view—unless it’s awful, then you won’t hear a peep about it from me. What promo video? I know not of which you speak.
5. Bethany is back in California!!! I so wish that I could take time off work and steal Bug out of school so we could just go hang out with Bethany and her family all the time. Man, those were some good times back in the day when we used to do that for weeks on end. Now I’m lucky if I can make it down for one weekend day.
I did manage to get there last Saturday night and most of Sunday and I unpacked like a mad woman. It felt so good. I love unpacking and not thinking about work.
And of course Bug was so happy to be back with her best friend. Good times.
It’s good to have them back.
6. That’s all the news I have right now! How was your week?
P.S. To those of you who have left me reviews on my books: Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!! They’ve really made some of my bad days so much better. Thank you. If I had more time I think I would invent some kind of thank you party. But well, I’m behind and I’ve already procrastinated myself into a corner. But just know I’m dreaming of it. Because that would be fun!