There’s a reason I made super-healthy stir-fry pork and vegetables yesterday. It was because I made super-unhealthy sour-cream sauce meatballs today. I don’t know where this recipe came from. Maybe I made it up. My grandma (Hi Gramma!) made Swedish meatballs a lot for us when I was a kid but I never got the hang of her mushroom soup sauce. I know she’s told me how to make it a million times but this sauce seems to work pretty well for me. Also, Toby likes it. He’s pretty picky about certain things tasting like they came out of a can so this works for us.
How bad is it to cook with three giant heaping serving-size spoons full of sour cream anyway? I never asked. Is it as bad as creamy alfredo sauce? Worse? I’m sure there is a way you could make this lighter. I do add milk sometimes to make it go further.
So for those of you hopeless cooks like me looking for new recipes, or for those of you who just want to laugh at me, here is the makeshift recipe:
- Make sure you remember to get your hamburger out of the freezer the night before or the morning of. It’s impossible to make meatballs with frozen meat. Or at least that is my experience. Microwaving it never really works that great for me.
- Mix the hamburger, egg, chopped onion, and ground-up stuffing or breadcrumbs. Add oregano, garlic salt and pepper to your taste. (We like a lot of pepper in our house.) Mix mix mix. If you have a helper on hand, enlist her! Just make sure she washes her hands.
- Make meatballs. This is pretty self explanatory, no?
- Heat a little bit of olive oil in a skillet and sauté the meatballs.
- When meatballs are done, drain excess oil. Or leave it in if you like heart attacks. Sometimes I do. Heh.
- Add three giant scoops of sour cream and roll your meatballs around in it. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add pretty snipped herbs from your garden (English Thyme for me) so that your meatballs don’t look like mushy white balls of grossness.
- Serve with boiled potatoes and a salad and enjoy!
That’s all I got! Tomorrow: green enchiladas! Get your crockpots out!